With plans to eat brunch at a bustling restaurant called Tweet, my boyfriend and I took the Red Line to Argyle (the area is also known as Little Saigon). When we arrived at Tweet, the New American/ breakfast & brunch joint, the wait was 45 minutes - which is, fairly standard. But with Tank Noodle around the corner and no wait at all, we really just couldn't resist!! It was cold and snowing... so naturally, soup sounded AMAZING!
Tank has a delicious vegetarian pho - in fact, I'm comfortable saying that it's the BEST vegetarian pho I've had since I became a vegetarian 5 years ago (the runner up would have to be Saigon Shack in West Village in NYC). I've been to Tank several times and I always get the same dish. It's tricky when it comes to veggie broth - many restaurants don't know how to get creative with this (same deal for ramen). They simply don't know how to make a good veggie broth. I triple-checked with the waiter that the veggie pho's broth does not contain any meat, fish, or animal products - and it doesn't! I don't know what Tank does, but the broth is what makes the pho delicious.
A couple tips on how to eat pho if you haven't before:
- Put the raw bean sprouts in your soup immediately, allowing it to cook while the soup is hot
- Peel the basil off from the stem and put it in your soup too
- Squeeze some lime into your broth (I like mine extra sour)
- Eat the pho (or noodle) quickly, otherwise it will soak up the broth
- And don't forget some Sriracha if you like it spicy!!
That's it for now! Thanks for reading :)